Thursday, April 17, 2008

Architecture school

How many of you have always wondered what people study in architecture school? How many of you think that all we do in school is just learn how to draw and shit? Well, we DO NOT just learn to draw and shit. We learn about the world, culture, people and shit.

Nah, I'm not going into that topic. If you're interested, you could ask me.

What I wanted to share with you guys is one of the lessons that I learnt that I find quite interesting.

I learnt that there is no such thing as an absolute randomness. Or rather, I do not believe in absolute randomness. I believe that things that may seem random, may not be random at all, they might be affected by some other factors.

Ok this is absolute bullshit. I'm just bored.

Architecture school is fun but stressful. Its not like all the other school where you have to study a lot. Read tons and tons of books for research. Well, it's not like I don't do research. It's just that my research can come from anything, be it just by watching movie, listening to music, basically just doing what I like best. ( *it only applies to my design subject, I still have to read books for theories and shit* ).

Why am I telling you all this?

It's because I think most of you don't know what it's like. Well I didn't. I sort of applied to do architecture by impulse without knowing what I was up for. It's like taking a blind leap of faith into an unknown territory.

Now, I'm already in my second year. I really enjoy what I'm doing, even if it kills me. I enjoy doing work in uni till 2-3am. I enjoy playing around with glue. I enjoy the freedom to express who I really am in class. You can't do that with maths or statistics now, can you?

I'm not here to brag or whatever. If you're studying engineering or going to study engineering, you'll grow to hate architects. Mainly because we have fun doing what we're doing, and you're working your ass off to make sure our fun doesn't get out of hand.

3 comments:

Philip Nate said...

Doing shit yet enJoying it? Wow. That's some sneak peak of an architecture student's life.

Sean said...

let me ask u this la. Would you rather sit at home alone reading text books all night, or would you rather sit in a big room with all your friends doing work together, helping each other out, snacking at the same time, chatting at the same time. I wouldn't say that all archi students are like that. Only some of us. We're normally the usualy bunch hanging around uni during late hours at night. We sort of created a close bond among ourselves. Some times we all need some alone time as well to do certain things. Design for example is something that I find hard to do with someone else beside me.

shit i'm talking crap again.

Philip Nate said...

shit i am hearing crap again.

hahahaha. . . wad la u? then i am also replying crap again...